Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Crutches and braces and casts.....oh my!

At Keith's doctor appointment last week, the ankle doctor (I'm sure he has an 'official' name!) told Keith that his fractured ankle won't heal on its own. So he gave Keith a choice between surgery and a brace. Here's the deal with the surgery: When the doctor goes in to perform the surgery, if the fractured piece of bone is floating in there, the doctor will remove the piece, scrape the rest of the 'stuff' off Keith's ankle bone (that's the arthroscopic part) and put him back together. He'd be in a brace for about a week and will have to generally take it easy.
If, on the other hand, he goes in and doesn't see what he wants to see, he'll have to RE-BREAK Keith's ankle and re set it and pin the ankle. He'd then be in a cast for 6-8 weeks. So obviously Keith chose the brace and crutches over surgery for now. So now he's in a knee to ankle brace for the next 30 days and can't take it off except to shower. He's on crutches too. This is where a 2 story house is miiiiiiiiiiighty inconvenient! :) So he's been hobbling and hopping everywhere and is in a lot of pain. It's amazing how much you count on another person's help and then all of a sudden that person is incapable of helping! Let's just say that a lot of things (I.E. cleaning!) are taking a back burner so I can care for Aaron and Keith at the same time.

In Aaron news, most of you saw his Halloween pictures I sent via email. He was quite a cute little doggy! He just loved his costume and continues to lug it around with him and hug it. So cute. His word list is expanding too. He's finally saying Mama consistently, and now he can say Jenna's name and a version of 'Thank you!'. It sounds a lot like 'Ah-goo' but we know what he's saying. He certainly loves his animal sounds too: He roars like a lion, hisses like a snake, pants like a dog, mews like a cat, and does "ooh ahh" for a monkey!

Yesterday Keith taught him how to shake hands so whenever I stick my hand out he grabs it and pumps it up and down. Too funny.

Tomorrow (11/3) we leaved for Wisconsin. We just dropped Aaron off with Maryann and her boyfriend Bob. Aaron very happily waved goodbye to me when they pulled out of the parking lot and I admittedly had to swallow a lump in my throat. This is the first time we've ever left him so it was a little sad. He'll have fun with his grandma and I have no doubt she'll spoil him! :) Anyway, we're hoping to see as much of WI as we can, but having Keith on crutches is going to make our trip a little bit more slow going than we thought. Hopefully we'll be able to experience enough to base our decision on whether we're moving or not.

I'll post some more pictures later. I'm on Keith's laptop (he has his office set up in the dining room for now so he doesn't have to climb 2 flights of stairs to get to his computer) and he doesn't have the photo software I need to put them in here.

No comments: