Wednesday, December 07, 2005

December 9, 2005

Has it really been 2 months since I've posted in here? Shame on me!

Let's see....Aaron and I took a class on Thursdays that lasted 8 weeks. It was an okay class - definitely not one I'd recommend to other moms, but we had fun anyway. It was a class about movement and music. It wasn't very consistent in that we never repeated anything we had done in previous weeks, but Aaron did get to learn about different instruments and he loved that part. We also went with my friend Angie and her daughter Sylvia. I think it was the instructor that made us not love the class, but like I said - Aaron had fun and that's all that mattered.

We also went to a toddler story time at one of our local libraries. Both Aaron and I loved it! The librarian did a fantastic job reading to the toddlers and all of the other moms and kids seemed to enjoy it too. Aaron's always loved to read and I think this just encourage him to read even more. He also loved that when we were finished we would go over to the children's area and check out a few books. We're bummed that storytime won't start up again until February though. Wintertime in Michigan sure will seem long!

He still amazes us daily with the words and phrases he comes up with. The other day we were playing with his Fisher Price phone (you know the one - we all had it when we were kids too!) and doing lots of pretend play. I picked up the phone and said, "Oh Aaron! It's for you!" He said, "Hi Santa! May I have some new cars? Uh huh...good bye". And then as he walked away he shook his head and said, "Somebody called the wrong number!"

We've been working on our manners and he is doing SO well with them. He says "excuse me" when trying to pass someone (especially the dogs, which is hilarious) and when he burps, he says "bless you" when we all sneeze, and our favorite is, "May I please be excused?" when he's finished with his dinner. He remembers to say "thank you" and "you're welcome" and does very well with "please". He's going through a typical two year old phase of needing something RIGHT THEN AND THERE and if he doesn't get it he throws a nice tantrum. We're working on him saying, "I would like...." instead of "I NEED it!"

He is crazy obsessed with Thomas the Tank engine right now. We have a couple of DVDs that he gets to watch and though we limit his TV viewing as much as we can, he still gets in a trance when watching them. Quite honestly, he has learned his numbers by knowing which numbers are on Thomas, Percy, James, Gordon, etc, so they are educational too ;) And like a typical boy, he loves all things that go.

About a year ago at this time he was deathly afraid of the vacuum. If we would even say the word vacuum he would freak out. Oddly enough, he can't get enough of vacuum cleaners now! He LOVES going to Target, Home Depot, Meijer, etc and must go down the vacuum cleaner aisle so that he can check them all out. It's quite funny, really. And he gets super excited when Keith or I tell him that when he's older he can vacuum with mommy and daddy's big vacuum cleaner. We'll see if we're met with the same amount of enthusiasm then ;)

As we approach the holidays Keith and I are getting really excited. Even though Aaron doesn't really "get" what Christmas is all about quite yet, he loves the decorations and loves going outside to look at lights. He's already watched "Frost the Snowman" and "Rudolph" which he loved. When it was Halloween we would take him on walks to show him everyone's pumpkins and decorations. He loved saying things were "spooooooky" and now whenever he sees a holiday decoration outside he'll say, "Look at that spooky snowman!" :D We're trying to tell him that Christmas time and the holidays are jolly and merry but he insists that they are spooky.

We're getting him a train set for Christmas and I think we're more excited to give it to him than he probably will be to play with it. When we took him to Meijer Gardens (http://www.meijergardens.org ) a few days ago to see the Polar Express train he went crazy. And he had so much fun playing with the train set in the children's room, too.

Keith recently got a promotion at work so he's doing something a bit different. He'll have to do a bit more traveling but he's fine with that. As he says, " I don't have to talk to people now, so that's good". It's hard to believe he's been with his company now for 6 years.

And as for me, I'm plugging along. I'm looking forward to the holidays with my boys and I'm very happy we're back here in MI to be able to celebrate with my family. It's unfortunate that Keith's family is so far away but luckily his brother Erik is only a few hours away so we get to see them often. We'll also be able to celebrate Christmas with Keith's mom and her new husband because they will be coming to Chicago. What I am NOT looking forward to is another Michigan winter! We've already gotten a lot of snow and it's not even officially winter here yet. Blech.

I will post some pictures when I get a chance. I've been trying to be good about sending along links to pictures as I take them but I'm afraid I've fallen behind on that.



No comments: