Monday, June 20, 2005

Home Sweet Home...(For real this time!)

Look at this! 2 posts in one month! Look out...I'm out of control!

We became official homeowners again on May 31. The closing went off without a hitch which was nice. Realtors and title offices do things a bit differently here in MI than they do in NY but everything went fine.

I called the old homeowners on June 8 to ask them a question about their cable service. It seems that the cable company wouldn't install our cable until the old owners were officially out. Boy am I glad I called them because they said that they were at our house doing a final cleaning and that I could come over that evening to get the keys! 2 would days earlier than planned! After doing my happy dance I went over that evening to get the keys. The owners were very nice and cleaned the entire house top to bottom for us. Sure made things easier for moving day.

That evening Keith brought home a big Suburban truck for work and we went over to our storage unit to get a bunch of boxes and 'things'. We made 2 trips and then called it a night. Boy were we tired and we hardly made a dent in the storage unit! The next day Aaron and I went to the new house ("New HoWWWWse" as he calls it) and I let him run all over the place while I unpacked a few things. We got mostly everything unpacked and that evening Keith and I repeated the moving boxes thing.

On Friday afternoon Keith's mom and her future husband Bob came from NY to help us move. We all went to dinner that evening after a stop at our house to show it off. Mary Ann and Bob were the very first people to stay at our house - even before we did! :)

Saturday morning bright and early Keith met his co-worker Brian at our storage unit and they began the not-so-fun task of loading up the truck. Bob stayed back at the house to wait for the delivery of our new refrigerator and Mary Ann and I went to the store to pick up Aaron's birthday gift.

Keith called my cell phone at 10:30 to say that he and Brian were on their way back to our house with ALL of our stuff in one truckload! I found it interesting that our NY movers couldn't do it all in one load but Keith was able to! And even though we had already brought over a lot of stuff there was still plenty of room to get more things on the truck. Unbelievable.

The guys were awesome and unloading the truck and there were only 2 more big items to bring in when the refrigerator arrived. I think the guys welcomed the break :) The new fridge was installed and then the rest of the stuff was brought in. Everything fit just fine except for our queen size box spring. It didn't got up the stairs :( so we need to purchase a new, split-down-the-middle box spring. An unexpected expense but luckily not a costly one.

We were all unloaded by 1:30 PM. MaryAnn and I took Aaron back to my dad's for a nap and the guys worked on doing minor things like putting the tables together. Erik (Keith's brother) got the fun task of taking our clothes out of the wardrobe boxes. We had 4 boxes and all but one were crushed in the move. It was amazing to see the damages the movers from NY did to our belongings :(

After everyone had relaxed a bit, they all took a dip in the pool. I guess I need to mention that all week the temps were in the upper 80's and the humidity was insane. Boy did that pool feel GREAT! Keith worked extra hard to get it all cleaned up before we were moved in and I know I was thankful to take a nice dip.

Over the course of the next few days we unpacked, unpacked, and unpacked some more. By the time MaryAnn and Bob left on Wednesday we were 99% done with unpacking. We still need to do some organizing but overall we're very satisfied with how the move went. I dare say it was the easiest (but hottest!) move we've ever done and that says a lot because you all know how much we've moved :D

We are really enjoying our new house and are extremely happy with our find. We've got some minor things to do around the house (except for the bathroom, which is major) like paint, change knobs, etc. But at least we're not overwhelmed like we were with our NY house.

And Aaron....WOW. He was awesome during the entire move. He did great with MaryAnn and didn't blink an eyelash at mommy and daddy being unavailable. His language capabilities are outstanding and he repeats stuff on a daily basis that we say. His latest funny words are Kielbasa, Spaghetti, Delicious, Hmmmmmm let's see (complete with putting his hand on his chin!) and a few others. He is going to be TWO in just 10 short days. Simply unbelievable!

Pictures to follow soon, as soon as we get some painting done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I just checked this by chance and you posted - cool! I have totally screwed up your cell number and don't have it to call you, so give me a call! Bari