Monday, August 18, 2008

Almost time

Yesterday I visited with my dad. I asked Aaron to stay home with Keith for numerous reasons but mainly because I don't want his last images of my dad to be unpleasant. I'd rather he remember him cracking jokes, or playing with Aaron's cars on his chest, etc.

My dad is currently on Morphine to keep him out of pain. When the nurses asked him last week (after being on Morphine for nearly 2 weeks) what his pain level 1-10 was, he'd always say 10. So they upped him to what I think is a big amount and he's pretty out of it. He's unresponsive to any of us though he did twitch his eye slightly yesterday when I was rubbing his arm very hard and nearly yelling, "I love you!"

I was very sad last night and Aaron asked me what was wrong. I told him I was sad about grandpa and that it was making me teary eyed. He said, "When will he go to Heaven?" and "How will he get there?" Man, you are never quite prepared to answer questions quite like that!

Lest you think it's all seriousness and somberness around here (which I guess it is 99.9% of the time) we are still finding time for laughter. When Aaron asked if grandpa was going to Heaven I told him yes.

He answered, "Man, I really need to be good now that I have all of those grandparents always watching over me!"

That's right, kiddo. You certainly do.

No comments: