Today Aaron and I were driving back from the store and he was sharing in my disgust of Christmas music on the radio (already!) and the few houses we saw with Christmas decorations up. We both agree that Thanksgiving just needs to come first and then we'll talk about Christmas.
He was discussing with me that he loves Christmas because he gets presents. I explained that we celebrate Christmas because we're celebrating Jesus' birthday and the "gifts" are for Him. I'm trying to teach him quite young that it's not all about the presents. But who am I kidding?! He's FIVE!
This year, in tough economic times, I decided that it would be ridiculous to buy him oodles of presents just because. So I am following the following gift-buying/giving rule:
Something you want
Something you need
Something to wear
Something to read.
I told him that he wouldn't get a bunch of present this year because mommy wasn't working (yet) and that it's hard to buy presents in those conditions. So I suggested that we focus on church and Jesus and trying to help others who don't have so many things that we do.
He sat there for a few minutes and said, "Ooooh! I know! I can get Jesus slippers! Slippers are something I need and Jesus is about church".
I think I have some work to do.
Home Sweet Home! by The Pioneer Woman
6 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment